Monday, January 9, 2012

Egads! A recipe.

I have never thought of myself as any kind of cookish type cook. I can't seem to be bothered to follow a recipe. I also don't have an advanced enough palate to really put flavor into things the way other people do. What that really means is that I was raised by Utah Mormons and never learned to like strong flavors like basil, oregano and the like so I avoid using them whenever I can and am therefore generally a producer of boring food. Oh, I have my specialties like anybody else that's been cooking all their life but most of my specialities are of the sort that belong at church gatherings and on school lunch trays. This, of course does not prevent me from calling up all and sundry and ordering them to make this thingy that I have concocted whenever I have been moved to concoction. No recipe for it of course; just a ramble about how you throw this and that in and call it good and really you should make it and so forth. So, now you know that on top of being an award winning procrastinator I am a lazy cook and a big fat bosser. And we all know what the world thinks of a bosser don't we? Well, I was concocting last week and hit on something 5 out of the 6 of us really liked. Which is basically equivalent to winning the lottery. It worked out so well that I was actually moved to write down the recipe(of sorts). And now I am sharing it here. Not because I think it's going to change your life or cure male pattern baldness but because it saves me from having to email it to the poor chums that I have been ordering to make it. Win!
 Now, a word before I move on. I used Mexican blend cheese but you could use whatever you have on hand. There isn't a specified amount because it's really a personal call in my opinion. I also didn't use corn tortillas but the Mission corn and wheat blend ones. Yes they're more expensive; but it helps me convince myself that the Fam is shoveling in something half-decent instead of something that should probably be shoveled directly down the disposal. I actually liked the flavor they added but that could be my delusions speaking for me again. And before you ask; yes-I did make a casserole instead of actual enchiladas because I'm too damned lazy to roll them up.  

Chicken Enchilada Casserole
5 C. cooked, shredded chicken      3T butter   3T flour      1c. sour cream
1 onion, chopped         1T chopped garlic        cumin, chili powder, salt
tortillas cut in half (about 20 if using the small corn ones)       
28 oz can green enchilada sauce, divided     Cheese

 Measure out 2 c. of the enchilada sauce and set aside. In a large frying pan, soften onions in oil then add garlic. Cook for a minute or so then add shredded chicken. Sprinkle with spices to taste, pour in rest of sauce from can and heat together on low.  Meanwhile, in a saucepan over med heat melt butter; add flour and cook together for 1 min then pour in 2 c. enchilada sauce. Cook, stirring until bubbly and thick. Remove from heat and add sour cream. Spray an 11x13 pan with cooking spray. Spread a little bit of the sauce in the bottom and top with a single layer of tortillas. I break them in half and put the straight side against the edge and then just kind of fill in the middle.  Next, layer 1/2 chicken and spoon some sauce on top. Sprinkle with cheese. Repeat layers then cover with last layer of tortillas. Spread with remaining sauce making sure to cover completely. Sprinkle with cheese, cover in foil and cook for about 45 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Take the foil off for the last 10-15 minutes. Let rest for 15 min. before serving.




 

No comments: