Friday, March 2, 2012

Birthday Wishes

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss!
 If you have children that go to school you should be well aware that Theodor Geisel was born today in 1904. Due to the fact that I am basically a large toddler, I still read and love Dr Seuss. In fact, having Dr. Seuss day at school was always one of the few things that I could always get behind. I say few things because I am one of those lame Moms that think most of the extra stuff they pay attention to in elementary school trends to the useless and just plain stupid. So shoot me. I have always liked it so much that it makes me kind of sad that Suzie is finally too old for it and we don't get to participate in Dr. Seuss Day anymore. So in honor of the fact that if he were alive today he would be gumming Birthday cake with us, there should be Green Eggs and Ham on the table tonight. Consume those, whether or not there is a fox present, and then enjoy the clever absurdities in my 2 favorites of his stories-The Sneetches and What was I Scared of?. Try not to feel too sad for the plain belly Sneetches with no stars upon thars and too worried about the pair of pale green pants with nobody inside 'em as you do. I know I should mention How the Grinch Stole Christmas  but let's just save that for Christmas shall we? Then before you toddle off to bed take with you 
this little "Did you know?" that I picked up from one of my favorite websites; Dictionary.com. Seriously. I go on there nearly everyday. Go play the Word Dynamo games. They'll let you play the same words over and over until you can convince yourself that you're not as much of a dumbass as originally thought.

Along with grinch, Dr. Seuss also invented the word
*nerd*
1951, U.S. student slang, probably an alteration of 1940s slang nert "stupid or crazy person," itself an alteration of nut. The word turns up in a Dr. Seuss book from 1950 ("If I Ran the Zoo"), which may have contributed to its rise. Adjective nerdy is from 1978.
(nerd. Dictionary.com. Online Etymology Dictionary. Douglas Harper, Historian. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/nerd (accessed: March 02, 2012).

 Just to keep you from having to look to the right, I'll leave you with this Dr. Seuss quote(that I really consider words to live by and one of the reasons I find his stuff so appealing)here instead,
"I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, It's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, And that enables you to laugh at life's realities.”

No comments: