Friday, April 27, 2012

Venting...

Sam got suspended from school today.
 I. AM. PISSED.
Royally pissed. But; surprisingly enough, not at him and not really because he was suspended. The how and why is what has me foaming at the mouth.
 The whole thing started yesterday with Sam trying to break up a fight between one of his friends and the kid who has been bullying said friend all year. This bully walked out of the school and had punched Sam's friend 3 times before Sam got there to intervene. When Suzie came out of the school and saw Sam in the middle of it she jumped in and pushed the bully kid off of Sam. For her trouble she got stomped on her bruised foot and punched in the side. Needless to say, Sam saw red at this point and punched the kid in the jaw. According to the Principal, Sam should have left well enough alone. AND it was supposedly Suzie's fault that she got hurt because she should have run for a teacher and left Sam to his own devices. In what kind of messed up world do we live when standing up for our friends and family is the wrong thing to do? By the time Sam came back from getting a teacher, Suzie could have been bleeding all over the asphalt or vice versa. What kind of person tells a 10 year old girl that they deserved to be hurt because they didn't want somebody hurting their brother? Apparently the woman in charge of the well being of almost 1000 kids. She obviously also thinks that every child in the school should be viewed through the same lens and that every situation should have exactly the same outcome regardless of circumstances. Sam punched a kid. Fine, punish him accordingly. I even warned him to be prepared for something to come down today. BUT. How is it fair to lump him together with the instigator of this whole mess? Sam's punishment was the same as if he jumped the kid in an alley and beat him half to death. It makes me feel good that the children in whom we are placing our hopes for the future are being taught to refuse any sort of responsibility for their fellow beings. The idea flat out gives me the warm fuzzies. How am I supposed to expect my children to take care of each other and try to always do the right thing *no matter how hard it is* when they go to school and are taught that it's fine to always leave it to someone else. Not only fine but required. You will be rewarded not for doing right but by making sure you tell the right story to the right person. The bully told the principal he was "defending" himself. I'm pretty sure if you looked that phrase up in the dictionary there wouldn't be anything in the definition about running up to a kid and holding him in a headlock so you could punch his face. Sam told me on the way home that he told his teacher that this bully has been calling his friend fatty (amongst other names) and was told by his useless teacher to mind his own business because it was "between Bryant and Jr." Nice. Hearing that just made me even more glad I told the Principal that what happened today was bullshit and that if there's a next time I'm advising Sam to beat the shit out of that kid. I might also have implied that she was full of it herself when she tried to tell me they made sure there wasn't any bullying going on. There might have been mention of how worthless her school was too but I'm not sure. It's good that I'm already known as the bitchy Mom around there because it's too late to go back now. 
And now I think I'm going to need nothing less than a Coke I.V. to get my equilibrium back. Not to mention that I should get some sort of major award for keeping the bad words I used on that odious woman to nothing worse than shit and it's various forms. If you know my mouth then you know that I might even deserve a medal for Stellar Self-Control. Would it be pushing the maturity envelope too far if I call her back and tell her she's dumb, ugly, has bad hair and smells like old sweat socks? It's obvious to anyone with a brain that she's a total meanie-pants.   

No comments: