Saturday, February 11, 2012

Home Sweet Home

Home. Since last night actually. 10 days and a significant increase in noticeable white hanging on the old noggin. So much for best case scenario. We barely squeaked in under the worst case scenario deadline. To the day. Up yours Universe. You rat bastard. Don't do me any more favors, okay?
 Interestingly enough, 36 hours ago I wasn't entirely convinced that Suz was ready to come home. We were just coming off of the 4th in a string of hideous nights consisting of inexplicable fevers and pain bad enough to make her cry hard. Believe it or not, turns out Suzie is a pretty tough cookie so that is saying something. The drawbacks of hospitalization notwithstanding, you are basically sleeping in a huge safety net. Comforting to a very sleep deprived Mom. Especially when that deprivation is due to the fact that I had spent my nights telling Suzie to squeeze my hand 'till it got better and bullying, nagging, pushing, begging her into just one more turn around the floor because it would eventually(hopefully)make things better. But, she really really wanted to go home. Duh. Also,since her Dr. is actually one of the bigwigs at Primary Children's who happened to be covering for her partner this week, I decided to assume she knew what she was doing and just go with it. So home we came with our I.V. antibiotics, prescription for oxy and our list of all the things to worry about now that she wasn't being watched by someone in the know 24/7. And...Suzie went to sleep last night and nearly slept the night through. Most sleep in one stretch for almost 3 weeks. Tim had to wake her for her 2 o'clock meds and she hasn't done that since the first night out of surgery. She jumped(read-fast crawled)out of bed so as not to miss saying goodbye to Aunt Shelley, Courtney and Jared. She sat upright on the couch for over and hour in order to play HALO with Thomas. She's not magically better obviously. It has taken me half an hour to write the last 2 sentences since I've also been running in and out of her room trying to make her tummy better while she waits for her Ibuprofen to kick in. But. What a difference a day makes. I can't help thinking that maybe Dorothy had it right after all. There really is no place like Home.        

1 comment:

Krysta said...

I'm glad she is home. Having had my fair share of unwanted hospital stays, I know how you feel. It seems better to stay in the hospital, but for some reason, home seems to make the recovery faster, or at least easier. I'm glad she is on the mend. Love you!