Thursday, May 17, 2012

Thursday's Thoughts

Random...

I should be embarrassed at how ridiculously happy it makes me to have this sitting here.
Not, surprisingly enough, because it's full of Pepsi and limes but because you just can't go wrong with a glass this freakin' sweet. Nothing but a red straw of course. I actually had a green straw but when I realized what I'd done, I went back and switched for a red. Hello!?! Darth Vader doesn't do green.
This actually came in a set of 4 that I bought awhile back. I prefer this one above all but WILL drink out of Han Solo and if I have to; Princess Leia. I refuse to drink out of the Luke Skywalker glass though. That whiny old poop.

I love Thursday. It's the day when I start to feel like I might have a fighting chance to actually make it to the end of another week. Something that usually seems beyond impossible when my alarm goes off at 5 a.m. on Monday morning. It also means that my alarm won't go off before 7 a.m. until Monday rolls around again. To a night owl that can't ever seem to get enough rest, this is no small thing. Depending on how out of it I am, it can take awhile before I realize this. When it dawns on me that I have three whole days with no early wake-up call, it feels like I've been handed a gift. If the week has been a bad one, maybe being given a reprieve from the Warden might be a more apt description.

As I puttered around the house today, The Outlaw Josey Wales has been on in the background. Definitely in the Clint Eastwood top 5. Trust me. If you haven't heard, "Well are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" recently, you're living your life wrong. One caveat; steel yourself against the moment when you start hoping Clint rides in and shoots Sondra Locke instead of saving her from Comancheros. No matter how teeth gratingly bad she gets you just have to remind yourself that when somebody is sleeping with the director of a movie, being fired for lack of talent isn't usually an option.

I've been researching phrases to use on my 4th of July subway art thingy. Which is, by the way, looking to be freakin' awesome. (If you didn't say awesome in a high sing-songy voice, read that last sentence again and do it right this time. I'll wait.) Turns out I am more of an ignorant hayseed than previously thought. My whole life I thought that God Bless America started with that exact line. There is a whole verse before you launch into "God bless America, land that I love" etc... One of the reasons some people give for wanting to change the national anthem to that same song is because of the war-themed lyrics to The Star Spangled Banner. Huh. I always thought that the reason I am at my most blood thirsty after hearing The Star Spangled Banner was because of the way anybody singing it nowadays morphs into an American Idol contestant as soon as the music starts. Turns out it was the lyrics this whole time.  Also, did you know that abolitionists wrote 6 slavery themed verses to My Country, 'Tis of Thee? And, that the 5th verse to the same song was written to celebrate George Washington's Centennial? I didn't. Now I'm going to lay awake wondering about all of the other important tidbits of knowledge to which I am ignorant. And because I can't stop singing all these damned songs in my head.
I'm bracing for a long weekend people.




No comments: