Tuesday, October 9, 2012

You must eat these!

In spite of recent evidence to the contrary, I'm not a big banana fan.
 About once a month I might talk myself into eating one but only if it's still half green. Once they become even all the way yellow (let alone really ripe), I'm outta there.
 Now that you know this about me, you'll understand how good these bars must be for me to recommend them.
 They're called Banana Bread Bars but they're more like moist banana cake.
 Really, it doesn't matter what the bars are like because the real reason they're so good is the brown butter frosting with which they're topped. After trying it for the first time, I knew I had found my new boyfriend.
Seriously. Yum.
This frosting could possibly make shoe leather edible.

I found the recipe here. Via Pinterest of course.
 Is there any other way these days? 
Even if you don't have any ripe bananas hanging around, call the neighbors, go to the store, whatever-just find some. Then, after you try these, call me and we'll brainstorm other things on which we can put this frosting. 
That is, besides on a spoon, heading into my mouth. 
Already done that one.

Banana Bread Bars:

1 1/2 c. sugar     1 c. sour cream     1/2 c. butter softened     2 eggs
1 3/4 c (3 or 4 ripe) bananas, mashed     2 t. vanilla
2 c. flour     1 t. baking soda     3/4 t. salt     1/2 c. chopped walnuts (optional)

Frosting:
1/2 c. butter     4 c. pwd sugar     1 1/2 t. vanilla     3 T. milk

Heat oven to 375 degrees. grease and flour 15x10 jelly roll pan. In a large bowl, beat together sugar, sour cream, butter and eggs until creamy. Blend in bananas and vanilla. Add flour, b. soda and salt. Blend for one minute. Stir in walnuts. Spread batter evenly into pan. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile, make frosting. Heat butter over med. heat until boiling. Let the butter turn a delicate golden brown and remove from heat immediately. Add rest of frosting ingredients and whisk until smooth. Spread the frosting over the bars while they are still warm. 
 Makes about 2 dozen bars. 

Note: I don't have a 15x10 pan. I used my 13x9 pan and it worked out fine. You just end up with slightly taller bars with thicker frosting.





2 comments:

Krysta said...

Don't be offended, but I am going to pin the link from the original blog, so I can have the picture :)

Annie said...

Made these on Sunday. I took them to the in-laws with soup for dinner. Everyone loved loved loved them!! Thanks for making me look like a good cook :-)