Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Nothing too big, If you don't mind.

Listen up and gather 'round, children. 
Let me tell you a little something about life. 

Life isn't about the big occasions and grand gestures. 
It's all about the little things.

We have all heard it before but it bears repeating. 
In the end, it's the everyday seemingly stupid things that are what end up making a life.

I have never had the same respect for grand gestures that most of my fellows seem to. I have always worried that feeling the way I do about this stuff has made me too much like my Mother. I'm worried I come across as an ingrate. Or even just careless and selfish. 
Today, I've decided I don't care if it does. 

Seeing life as a string of grand gestures and important occasions leaves too much opportunity to miss the stuff that really makes a difference.

All the time. Every Day. Until the End. 
That's where it counts.

I keep telling all of the young'uns this but they don't believe me.

It isn't about what you ate or wore at your wedding reception but the fact that you will get up at 4 every morning to make his lunch because you know he really doesn't want to. Or whether or not you're willing to go get him Gatorade when both of you are suffering from the same heinous cold. Seriously. I would prefer he do the dishes when I would rather die than stand in front of that damned sink than spend $50 on flowers for our anniversary. No romantic gesture can mean more than him not saying a word when he comes home from work, doesn't mention that you're still in your pajamas for the 2nd day in a row and fixes himself a tuna sandwich because you were too tired to cook.

The feeling of finding the money to buy 2 kids a pair of shoes instead of figuring out which one has to wait until another payday just can't be rivaled by any purchased birthday gift that I can think of. I can't be the only one that has pulled a $20 out of the birthday card from Mom and felt like it was the best present ever when they put it in the empty gas tank the next day instead of buying themselves a little bauble. Getting a timely birthday card or gift doesn't mean as much if it's the only time I feel like you are thinking of me. Text me once a month instead.  

Your Happy Mother's Day wishes might ring a little hollow if you spent the previous week stepping over the laundry your Mom washed for you because you know she will eventually give in and fold it for you. I would pass up breakfast in bed to have you take out the trash because you actually noticed that it was a foot over the top and crawling up the bathroom wall. Even if you did it in September. The Mother's Day present that still stands out in my mind was when all the kids were really little and Tim took them to the mall and I had a guilt-free 2 hour nap. Really for reals.

Now, don't get me wrong.
This isn't meant to be a diatribe against making gestures, grand or otherwise.
 Everybody likes presents and fun surprises every once in awhile. I just feel like they shouldn't get precedence over everyday considerations. Or made to be more important because society seems to want to convince us it should be so. 

I am even sometimes guilty of this myself. 
  A flaw.
I know. Shocking.

Maybe this post is really a reminder to myself to keep track of the little things a little better as much as anything else. It's so easy to lose track. 

So, if you get a Christmas card in January, a ridiculously early birthday present, the latest thank you card ever or I can't tell you what I want for my birthday because I just can't care right now, just remember-I'm trying. 
And you know I love you.