Monday, December 3, 2012

An Artful Christmas

Happy December. 
Take that greeting to heart because we all know that in about a week or so I am going to be heartily sick of all things holiday and saying as much every chance I get. 
I discussed this phenomenon earlier this year with one of my BFF's and we came to the conclusion that part of the problem stems from the insane over commercialization of Christmas.
 I know.
 Ground breaking stuff.
 Even though it may be well trodden ground, I still feel it to be very true for me. 

That is why the Christmas subway art that has been rolling around in my head since October morphed from bright and jolly, Santa and holly into this:


I took a 9x12 flat canvas and covered it in pages from an ancient copy of Les Miserables.
 Don't freak out-it was literally in pieces.
 From there it was a matter of  laying the vinyl on top.
 Besides the actual design of the words, (everybody knows that's the hard part)
 the thing that took me the longest was
 finding sufficiently festive ribbon that didn't clash with the yellowed book pages. 


Pleased with it I am. Hang it I will.
Maybe if I get it up quickly, I can stave off the 
Holiday Blahs 
for a few more days than usual.

P.S. Can you tell I watched Star Wars this last weekend? 
I love being a nerd.

1 comment: